You may consult me for these problems?
If you have constant complaints about digestive problems such as frequent abdominal pain, nausea, indigestion, acidity, constipation, gas etc. then you require consultation with me. Other problems (also called symptoms) and diseases include:
- Complaints related to your food pipe include: difficulty in swallowing or painful swallowing, burning in chest, sour eructations (belching), heartburn, regurgitation of food, blood in vomiting (coffee colored vomit) or black foul smelling sticky stools (melena) etc.
- Complaints related to stomach: pain or burning in upper abdomen, vomiting, feeling of early fullness (satiety) even after small quantity of meals, bloating, blood in vomiting, black foul smelling sticky stools (melena), loss of appetite and weight etc.
- Complaints related to liver: weakness or fatigue, jaundice (dark yellow eyes or urine), fluid in abdomen (abdominal fullness), swelling over feet, blood in vomiting (coffee colored vomit), black foul smelling sticky stools (melena) etc.
- Complaints related to gall bladder and pancreas: severe pain in upper abdomen, jaundice, fever with chills etc.
- Complaints related to colon and rectum (large intestine): blood in stools, severe pain abdomen, frequent passage of stools, mucous or pus in stools.
- Complaints related to anus/anal canal: pain or burning during passage of stools, spurt of blood in stools, pain inside anal canal etc.
- Complaints related to small intestine: diarrhea, griping pain in abdomen, vomiting, abdominal distension, inability to pass or stools
You may consult me for the treatment of these diseases
- Diseases of food pipe include: Hiatus hernia, GERD, Barrett’s esophagus, Achalasia, Peptic stricture, cancer of esophagus, Esophageal varices etc.
- Diseases of stomach include: gastritis, gastric ulcer, cancer of stomach, fundal varices, GIST, Leiomyoma, GAVE etc.
- Diseases of liver include: Jaundice, fatty liver, NAFLD, NASH, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, Hepatitis E, cirrhosis of liver, liver cancer, ascites (fluid accumulation in abdomen), autoimmune hepatitis, Wilson’s disease etc.
- Diseases of gall bladder and pancreas: Gall stones, CBD stones, Pancreatitis, cancer of gall bladder and pancreas, cholangiocarcinoma etc.
- Diseases of small intestine: food poisoning, diarrhea, travelers diarrhea, intestinal obstruction, intestinal perforation, enteritis, etc.
- Diseases of Colon and rectum: Diarrhea, Colitis, Amoebiasis, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, tuberculosis, diverticula disease, colon or rectal cancer.
- Diseases of anal canal: piles, fissure, fistula etc. Precise injection of sclerosant into piles through an endoscope can stop bleeding from piles.
Following Endoscopy procedures are available
Esophagogastroscopy (upper GI endoscopy): a flexible tube with CCD and camera is inserted through the mouth and the upper digestive tract is examined for various diseases. Apart from diagnostic procedures various interventional procedures can be carried out that include:
- Foreign body removal: Various objects may be ingested accidentally or intentionally in children and adults like coins, dentures, disc batteries, pins, needles, meat bolus, fish bone and others. These can be removed easily through an endoscope in children and in adults.
- Banding of esophageal varices (EVL - endoscopic variceal ligation): In cases of liver cirrhosis there may be bleeding in vomiting from abnormal blood vessels known as esophageal varices. These can be easily tackled with banding them and controlling bleeding from mouth. Bleeding from these vessels occur sin form of vomiting of blood that is coffee grounds like or blackish brown.
- Glue injection of fundal (gastric) varices: Bleeding in cirrhosis or portal hypertension occurs from large grape like vessels in the stomach. Bleeding from these vessels can be dangerous and torrential. These can be controlled with injection of tissue glue that solidifies in the vessels and stopping the bleed.
- Stricture dilatation of food pipe (esophagus): the food pipe may shrink due to excess acidity, ingestion of acid or alkali, cancer and other causes. The shrinkage may be opened up by introduction of bougie (PVC pipes) or balloons.
- Metal Stents: can be placed in the lumen of blocked food pipe or stomach. These self expanding metal stents open the narrowing caused by cancer. Cancers may block the passage of food and cause difficulty in swallowing or vomiting. Placement of these stents give marked relief in swallowing and vomiting.
- Reduce weight in obesity: by placement of intragastric balloon in the stomach. Endoscopic balloon placement in stomach can enhance satiety by distending the lumen and decrease calorie intake. The balloon may be placed for 6 months to 1 year and decrease weight significantly. These are temporary and removed after achieving initial weight loss. Further weight loss can be maintained by diet, exercise or medicines.
- PEG tube placement: is very effective for patients who cannot swallow because of stroke, MND, parkinsonism, traumatic brain injury or oral cancers. The swallowing problem may be long term or permanent. Generally, these patients are kept on Ryle's tube for feeding that is associated with many complications like discomfort, esophageal injury like ulcers and bleeding, small calorie intake and repeated lung infections. The PEG tube allows for more calorie intake as it is wider, has less complications and easy to handle. Such patients should not be forced to eat or drink as food or water may enter wind pipe and patient may die or develop serious lung infection.
Colonoscopy and colonoscopic guided procedures like polypectomy, metal stents, injection of sclerosant in piles etc.
Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS): Through EUS, can take FNAC and Biopsy from mediastinum Glands and Tumors, Pancreatic Cancer and Stage Lung Cancers, Esophageal, Pancreatic, Ampullary and other cancers.
Capsule endoscopy and enteroscopy: Through EUS, can take FNAC and Biopsy from mediastinum Glands and Tumors, Pancreatic Cancer and Stage Lung Cancers, Esophageal, Pancreatic, Ampullary and other cancers.
Treatment of Alcoholism/Alcohol dependence: It is carried out in four phases by:
- Detoxification and medical treatment of alcohol withdrawal
- 12 step recovery program
- After care